How to Care for Opal Inlay Jewelry
Our Na Hoku opal inlay pieces use high quality Australian crystal opal. Opal inlay jewelry is delicate and requires special attention and proper storage to prevent damage to the opal and the surrounding materials. We recommend following these care instructions:
- Avoid exposure to chemicals: Opals are sensitive to chemicals such as acids, perfumes, and household cleaners. Always remove your opal inlay jewelry before using these substances.
- Remove opal jewelry when showering, swimming, or washing your hands, and avoid exposure to lotion and chemicals.
- Avoid impact: Remove your opal inlay pieces when doing any sort of activity that could bring the stone in contact with hard surfaces to prevent chipping or cracking of the delicate inlay materials.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Opals can be sensitive to sudden changes in temperature and extreme changes in humidity levels. Keep your opal jewelry away from direct sunlight and extreme heat or cold.
- Gentle cleaning: Clean your opal jewelry with a soft, damp cloth. Never soak or immerse in water for prolonged periods of time. Opals should never be cleaned in an ultrasonic or steam cleaner and avoid exposure to bleach, chemical cleaning fluids, and salt water. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh cleaners, as they can scratch or damage the opal.
- Storage: Store opal jewelry in a padded jewelry box or pouch to prevent scratching and protect it from moisture. Store away from direct sunlight and extreme heat or cold.
- Regular inspections: Periodically check your opal inlay jewelry for loose stones or signs of wear. If you notice any issues, contact your local Na Hoku store location or Na Hoku Customer Service.